In a creative
field that demands excellence and innovative thinking, Taproot
Audio Design owner, Jeffrey Reed combines experience and
intuitive talents to make him a reliable and multi-faceted audio engineer.
Reed initially gained
experience as an engineer while working for Malaco and Parallax
Records, both independent labels based in Jackson, MS. and later, the legendary Ardent Studios in Memphis, TN. Over 25
years of experience in audio recording and production led to the
formation of Taproot Audio Design in 2002. We are located in beautiful and historic Oxford, MS, also known as "The Little Easy" and the mid-south's oasis of music and literature. Taproot
Audio Design offers professional mastering services for your CD, digital release files or vinyl pre-master and also 5.1 surround mastering for DVD, Blu Ray and streaming formats. Reed's success stems from his flexibility
and responsiveness to the needs and wants of the client. Superb listening
skills coupled with an innate love and feel for music make him a top
choice of some of music's legendary professionals.
For the uninitiated, mastering can be somewhat of a mystery.
Mastering is the process of assembling a collection of individual
songs into a cohesive album by making them sound like they belong together
in tone, volume and timing (spacing between selections). It is the
"final step" in post-production process and the initial preparation in the manufacturing process. It also proves to
be very useful by introducing a “third ear” into the recording process
by providing a fresh perspective to the project. Mastering is not a piece of gear or "magic box" or software that music
is run through and comes out mastered. It is an artform that relies
on the engineer's experienced ear and knowledge of various musical
genres. The processes
used in mastering can vary greatly from project to project. Media can be delivered in multiple formats, including DDP files, wav files, MP3, AAC or physical media (CD, DVD, Blu Ray).
We also offer professional audio post-production mixes for film and video in a full 5.1 surround mix-to-picture environment. We can deliver your media as 6-Channel discreet, 5.1 stems, AC3, L/R stereo discreet, stereo stems, web content specific or custom requests. Let us help you take your project to the next level.
Post-Production Delivery Specifications:
- Divide the movie into 20-30 minute reels, depending upon the size of your session. •
- The first reel should have a title card (i.e.- movie title, editor, frame rate, Quicktime format, etc. •
- Always include a one second 2-pop and tail-pop, with a corresponding color bar, two seconds before the picture begins/ends. •
- Please divide the reels so timecode is continuous, if possible. •
- Please include a seperate Quicktime H.264 file with timecode burn-in and format a 1920x1080. •
- The audio should be delivered as either an OMF or AAF file. •
- Consolidate files from original and include at least 5 second handles on them. •